SACRAMENTO – The California Arts Council and California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) today announced contract awards totaling $1 million to seven organizations to provide Arts-in-Corrections programs at 14 prisons statewide.
The Arts-in-Corrections programs will offer an array of performing, literary and visual arts disciplines such as theater, music, dance, creative writing, poetry, storytelling, painting, drawing and sculpture.
“Structured arts programs have proven results,” said CDCR Secretary Jeff Beard. “Not only are inmates channeling their energy into constructive, creative projects, they are also learning new skills and expressing themselves in positive ways.”
The California Arts Council awarded the contracts to the following seven organizations: The Actors’ Gang, Alliance for California Traditional Arts, Dance Kaiso, Marin Shakespeare Company, Muckenthaler Cultural Center, San Jose Repertory Theatre and the William James Association.
CDCR committed $1 million to the Arts-in-Corrections program for fiscal year 2013-2014 and has committed to provide $1.5 million next fiscal year.
“Arts engagement is a valuable rehabilitation method that can provide positive change for inmates and for communities across our state,” said Wylie Aitken, Chair of the California Arts Council. “The Arts Council is pleased to award contracts to these exceptional organizations, in partnership with CDCR. The arts are a powerful tool that can address many of the challenges facing the state of California.”
The organizations will offer programs in the following prisons:
- California Institution for Men in Chino
- California Institution for Women in Corona
- Pelican Bay State Prison in Crescent City
- San Quentin State Prison
- California State Prison-Sacramento in Folsom
- California Rehabilitation Center in Norco
- Kern Valley State Prison in Delano
- California State Prison-Corcoran
- Salinas Valley State Prison in Soledad
- California State Prison-Solano in Vacaville
- Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison, Corcoran
- Valley State Prison in Chowchilla
- Pleasant Valley State Prison in Coalinga
- Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility in San Diego